Education: Caregiver Support Seminars
Caregiver Support Seminars are geared toward the needs of family caregivers and prospective caregivers. Presented at St. Paul AME Church, the seminars are educational, provide support and connect caregivers to available community resources and service. Here’s what they focus on:
1. Orientation of the family caregiver role — to include discussion about the role of care giver. Discussion of caregiver support and care of the family member. Role play, question & answer, and bonding time with other caregivers.
2. Legal aspects of caregiving — power attorney vs guardianship? Living wills and regular wills. Discussion of the Family Medical Leave Act, and The Caregiver, Advice, Records, Enable Act, (CARE).
3. Insurance, long-term care, and assisted living residences — topics that may be informative to caregivers during the time they are caring for their family member.
4. Medicare vs Medicaid — discussion of both programs and criteria for qualification.
5. Health & nutrition of caregivers- information about nutrition, good health care, and physical fitness activities for caregivers
6. Palliative and hospice care — discuss and compare palliative care with hospice care and the role of the caregiver.
7. Bereavement support — discussion about the different stages of grief and coping with the loss of a loved one.
8. At the end of the seminars, a respite care component will be offered to provide rest and relaxation activities to the group of caregivers.
We are called to strengthen our faith and sent to continue the ministry of Jesus Christ by service and witness in the world.
“Through Mission study we become sensitized to the need to serve and prompted to action”
• Education for a more effective mission ministry
• Equipping leaders for mission service
• Enriching and inspiring greater community involvement which develops people and generates resources.
The St. Paul A.M.E. Church’s Ella Johnson Missionary Society (WMS) is involved in ministry in the community and has been for over 50 years. The missionaries have been ministering to seniors in the targeted population known as the “The Heart of Boynton Beach” Community. The WMS has provided training for seniors and provided information about topics of importance to the health of seniors. Furthermore, home visits and support of the homebound are a part of the ministry component.